Quitting smoking is one of the hardest things you can do. The best way to approach this is to set a quit date and work towards it.
The health benefits from kicking the habit cannot be understated; on average, smokers lose ten years of their life from their nicotine addiction.
Up to 5200 people die every year from tobacco related illnesses as per outlined by the HSE. It has been estimated to cost a total of €10.7 billion annually in health care, productivity and other costs.
The good news is that there are immediate and long term benefits to giving up smoking.
Quitting smoking is the single best thing you can do for your health. Increasing your life expectancy and reducing your risk of disease.
The immediate health benefits include:
- 20 minutes- your blood pressure and heart rate return to normal.
- 8 hours- blood levels of nicotine, oxygen and poisonous carbon monoxide begin to return to normal.
- 2 days- lungs begin to clear and sense of taste and smell start returning.
- 3 days- energy levels increase and breathing becomes easier.
- 2-12 weeks- blood circulation gets better and exercise gets easier.
- 3-9 months- coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath improve.
Long term benefits include:
- 1 year- your heart attack risk is now half that of a smoker.
- 10 years- lung cancer risk falls and is now half that of a smoker.
- 15 years- heart attack risk is the same as someone who has never smoked.
We stock a range of different nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) products. With our training and expertise, we can suggest the right form of NRT for you.
NRT makes its more likely that your attempt to quit smoking will succeed. The chances of stopping smoking are increased by 50 to 70%.
- Chewing gum
- Oral spray