Why Should you quit smoking?
There are many reasons to quit smoking. Everyone has their own reason for wanting to quit.
Some of them may include:
- Improving your health
- Having a better quality of life
- Having more money in your pocket
- Improving your image; having better skin, teeth and hair
- Being a better role model for your family & friends
Statistically the odds are against you if you smoke. Below are some facts that will make you think twice about smoking.
- Smoking takes 10 to 15 years off your life.
- In Ireland, smoking is the leading cause of avoidable death. Nearly 5500 people die in Ireland each year from the effects of smoking.
Committing to giving up can be hard but worthwhile. While quitting smoking is one of the hardest things you can do, it is by far the single best thing you can do for your health. Increasing your life expectancy and reducing your risk of disease.
SET A QUIT DATE & WORK TOWARDS IT
The health benefits start right away when you quit.
- Within 20 minutes- your blood pressure and heart rate return to normal.
- Within 2 days- lungs begin to clear and sense of taste and smell start returning.
- Within 2-12 weeks- blood circulation gets better and exercise gets easier.
- Within 3-9 months- coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath improve.
- Within 10 years- lung cancer risk falls and is now half that of a smoker.
- Within 15 years- heart attack risk is the same as someone who has never smoked.
NICOTINE REPLACEMENT THERAPY
There are many different nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) products out there.
Bradley’s Pharmacy have a large selection of products available to help you quit smoking.
The chances of stopping smoking are increased by 50 to 70% buy using some of the following products.
- Chewing gum
- Oral spray
My recommendation is NiQuitin Minis
NiQuitin Mini’s can relieve cravings within minutes. They release their full dose three times faster than gum. This product can help you quit one cigarette at a time.
They come in two different strengths 1.5mg and 4mg.
You can Find the NiQuitin range in a Bradley's Pharmacy near you, or online if you follow the link below:
All the best
Alieen Our Pharmacist in Churchtown.